Givenchy Men's Fall 2012 Review



The men's shows have come to an end and pre-fall collections are STILL trickling in and couture week is just around the corner. I don't normally review men's shows because I don't keep as close an eye on them as I do the women's shows. This probably explains why I dress so awfully.

The main take away from the men's shows would have to be the suit which I find odd because so few men wear suits seriously or in a way that designers would like them to. Everybody blew their load over Prada's take on power dressing and Givenchy's steady evolution of dark aggressive sexuality. What interests me most about Givenchy is that Riccardo Tisci has founded a look that is all his own and people want to buy it which I think is extraordinary for a luxury menswear brand. I find with most men's collections I see things here and there that I like but they don't equate to any brand or designer identity. You could show me a Gucci jacket and one by Hermes and I would fail to see any distinction. But with Givenchy there's the digital prints, the star motif traced from shoulder to shoulder, or the loose sportswear shapes.  It may not be the most innovative or the most radical clothing but the collections are selling out and I think it's thanks to the casual, sports elements he adds. If Tisci has found a winning formula-and he clearly has-why are so many other designers heralding the return of the suit?


1 comments:

陳亭均 Heidi Tin-jyun CHEN said...

http://heidi0619.blogspot.com/

Cool~~~

Post a Comment