Just How bad was Hannah Macgibbon’s last collection?


Hannah Macgibbon, head designer of Chloé has just had her contract renewed...for one more season. Chloé CEO Geoffroy de la Bourdonnaye said “Hannah is still with us, that’s all I can say.” That’s all you can say! Mee-ow Geoffroy (if that is indeed your real name). ‘That’s all I can say’ translates to oh em gee you guiz. Like, ginorm goss but I totes can’t tell you. I’m surprised Macgibbon hasn’t released a bitchy retort because Geoffroy is sassing her good n proper.
Geoffroy-claws out diva and CEO of Chloe
Above: Hannah Macgibbon. Hay gurl

So I’ve decided to do an exhaustive look by look review, weigh up each look as good, bad and I dunno. Then I’ll add them up and see what happens. I’ll be the one making decisions from here on in so step aside Bourdonnaye.



LOOK 1
Nice pant/top combo. A little meh for an opening look but okay.


LOOK 2
This is better. What are those? Dungarees? If they were denim we could’ve had a Babysitter’s Club moment. Let’s have one anyway shall we?
Boy crazy? How bout crazy for statutory rape? Inappropriate!

LOOK 3
Snakeskin coat. Better than Prada’s take but still a bit iffy.

LOOK 4
A mint sleeve insert? Brown leather cuffs? Yes please.


LOOK 5
The pants are nice. Very Céline. But that’s probs a bad thing. The chunky knit sweater is too Michael Kors so that’s definitely a bad thing.



LOOK 6
Leather tracksuit. I could jog then have beers at a leather bar. Who’ll join me?


LOOK 7
Printed snakeskin top with trousers. Meh. It’s kinda cool.


LOOK 8
Hannah! No! You’re doing it wrong.


LOOK 9
Snakeskin printed silk chiffon. Yes. This is the DNA of Chloé.


LOOK 10
I’m so torn after bagging those mint Mugler flares on Gaga in ID. I like this look I just don’t like mint flares.



LOOK 11
Brown suede for fall? Brenda Walsh has already spoken about this.


LOOK 12
Yes to this top. No to the skirt. This is what’s wrong with Chloé.


LOOK 13
Yawn. Too Gap


LOOK 14
I'll Let Zach Morris take this one


LOOK 15
Okay this is an interesting piece, the poncho. It was a collaboration with Dr Noki, a sustainable fashion designer. Pff, sustainable. Who ever heard of such a thing?
It’s, I don’t know. Ugly hot? Like Andy Samberg.


Oh Andy, you can cry in my lap any day


LOOK 16
Uggh, now the Gap khakis are working with the knit top. Of all the unreliable fashion sources out there I’m honoured that you choose me. I’m tearing up you guiz.


LOOK 17
Slouchy, tom-boyish.


LOOK 18
Moar snakeskinnnnnn


LOOK 19
No to that skirt and no (but secretly yes) to those clogs that I wish were made of foam for the sole with an elastic strap. 90’s lesbian chic.


Above: Pussy magnets

LOOK 20
Mustard and denim. Yes.



LOOK 21
Meh. And is this just too Céline or is Céline just too Chloé? I got ma Macgibbon on ma Philo.



LOOK 22
 A suede bodybag. Run Daphne.


LOOK 23
No


LOOK 24
No


LOOK 25
Why did this skirt length work in New York for so many designers yet here with the suspenders it’s just so unflattering.



LOOK 26
No



LOOK 27
Jumbo dolly dress.


LOOK 28
Yes. Hit the nail. So French. So au courant non? 


LOOK 29
I’m not convinced by this dark chocolate romper. Why is it cuffed like that?



LOOK 30
No


LOOK 31
This is too 70’s. There’s nothing modern about it.


LOOK 32
 A macramé leather bib? I mean, what? No, you just....why????



Well the official results are in and the pie chart says it all really. 

Major issues- The silhouette. Totally get what she’s going for but it doesn’t work. You want trousers cut with ease then see YSL fall 2008. Exquisite.
YSL Fall 08
Too 70’s. It doesn’t have to be 70’s to be Chloé. Though Stella and Phoebe both had their 70’s moments as head designer they still pushed forward and made it relevant. 

Have management told her to simplify and be more like Céline? I think so. Because of this a lot of pieces just don’t feel special. They look a little too run of the mill. 

I don’t think things are going to end well. I think critics, buyers, customers and her boss have already made up their minds. I don’t think she’s gonna pull a rabbit out of her hat for the next collection. In fact I think her boss is just biding time to find a replacement. They just recently hired Laure De Sade (former assistant at Isabel Marant) to do the See By Chloé diffusion line. 



Above: Hannah Macgibbon recently seen outside a Job Centre in Milton Keynes. 

1 comments:

chuck n. said...

i'll miss hannah, especially her shyness, a "quality" that distinguished her from the rest of the "fab" (by that i mean pretentious) fashion pack!

i just discovered your blog while googling hannah macgibbon after having heard about her demission!

following for sureeeeeeeee

Post a Comment